This Glentauchers 2008 was aged in a refill cask for eight years. It has a delicate and gentle palate with white fruit notes and a grassy undertone.
Glentauchers distillery was built in 1898 near Mulben, Keith. It was built close to a nearby railway line. The founders of the distillery were James Buchanan and W P Lowrie. Not long after the distillery was built J. Buchanan took full control over the distillery as W. Lowrie had financial problems. Most of the whisky produced at this distillery has always been used in blends. For many years and up until the 1920s the distillery operated without major incidents. It was refurbished in 1922 and re-built in 1965. On that same year the production capacity expanded with the addition of two pairs of stills. In 1969 the distilelry stopped using its own malting floors and in 1985 the distillery was mothballed. Seven years later, the distillery re-opened under the ownership of Caledonian Malt Whisky Distillers. It remained under the ownership of this latter company until 2005 when it was acquired by drinks giant Pernod-Ricard. These days many independent bottlings of Glentauchers are out there.