Royal Brackla 13 year old Oloroso Finish Lady of the Glen
Independent bottlers and blenders Lady of the Glen released this single cask, cask strength Scotch whisky. The whisky was distilled at the Royal Brackla distillery in Cawdor, Nairn. The liquid was aged in a refill cask and was then finished in an Oloroso cask. Like all Lady of the Glen bottlings, this whisky was not chill filtered and shows its natural colour. This whisky was distilled in 2008 and was bottled in 2022. There were just 171 bottles released.
Lady of the Glen Independent Bottlers
Lady of the Glen is an independent bottler bringing international whisky enthusiasts an exclusive taste of Scotland’s traditional spirit. This means they are part detective and a bit magician as they seek, source, and look after rare single malt whiskies from distilleries across Scotland, turning them into something special through traditional bottling techniques.
All Lady of the Glen brand releases are hand bottled at natural cask strength, without any chill filtering or colouring which means the original taste remains unaffected and the end flavour is pure, full, and always unique.
Royal Brackla distillery
Brackla distillery is located in Cawdor, near Nairn. It was built in 1817 by a local captain who had a fame of being 'rather quick to lose his temper'. The whisky proved to be very popular and it became the first whisky to acquire a royal warrant in 1835. Eventually the the whisky became known as: 'The King's own whisky'.
The whisky from this distillery was used by blenders from the second half of the 19th century onwards. It was certainly one of the first few malt whiskies to be used in blends that went on to become commercially successful and even legendary. This distillery was certainly successful, by 1897 it reported that '.. demand outstripped supply'.
Like most other distilleries at the time, Royal Brackla faced difficult trading periods. The Pattison crisis, WWI and reduced demand from the US market due to the prohibition, all affected Brackla distillery and many others. The distillery changed hands a couple of times more and in 1943 it was acquired by Distillers Company Limited (DCL).
Under the ownership of DCL the distillery saw its production capacity increased. This move led to the distillery stopping operations between 1985 and 1991 as the industry saw oversupply and decreased demand. The distillery was sold to Bacardi-Martini along with other distilleries in the Dewar's portfolio. This whisky and others were re-launched in 2014 as part of 'The Last Great Malts of Scotland' by the Bacardi group.