Tax Free Shopping
Are you a visitor from outside the European Union and want to buy Scotch whisky? Then we have good news: you can claim Value Added Tax (VAT) back!
According to a UK government website you qualify for tax free shopping if:
- your home, or the place you live, is outside the EU
- you plan to take the goods out of the EU by the last day of the third month after the the month you bought them in.
Please note that you must meet both requirements and that not everything you buy/consume while visiting qualifies for tax free shopping. Also, tax free shopping is only available at selected stores.
When you shop with us, the minimum amount you need to spend to qualify is only £30. If you request the tax free form, we will issue one, print it and give you an envelope with instructions on how to fill the form and claim your money back. In many cases, you can get your money on the same day of your purchase without having to go to the airport.
There are some exceptions:
- goods (for example, perfume or chocolates) that you’ve used, or partly used, in the EU
- motor vehicles and boats
- goods over £600 in value that will be exported for business purposes
- goods that will be exported as freight and goods that need an export licence (except antiques)
- unmounted gemstones and bullion (over 125 grammes, 2.75 troy ounces or 10 Tolas)
- mail order goods including Internet sales
- any services, for example, hotel and restaurant bills.
For more information visit the UK government website here.