Glen Grant distillery is located in Rothes, Speyside. It was founded in 1840 by two brothers who were previously involved in illegal distillation. The distillery was built with easy access to local supplies and transport links in mind. When the railway reached Elgin they even financed an extension to Rothes. The brothers ran the distillery with efficiency and quality in mind.
In 1872 the successor of the founding brothers 'Major' John Grant took control of the distillery. Under his watch Glen Grant shined and became a massive commercial enterprise. He introduced electricity to the plant, installed purifier pipes and designed the shape of the pot stills. He started to export his spirit all over the world.
At the peak of the whisky boom, the Major decided to built a second distillery: Glen Grant II. This distillery was built across the road from the first distillery and supplied the malted barley for both sites. The Pattison crisis and a general downturn at the end of the 19th century forced Glen Grant II to close down and remain closed until 1965.
By 1931 the Major had died and his grandson George took control of the distillery. In 1952 he merged the distillery with Smiths Grant of the Glenlivet whom later merged with Longmorn/Benriach. Twenty years later they were all bought out by Seagram's, this acquisition effectively terminated the Grant's family's involvement in the distillery.
In 2001 Pernod-Ricard bought the whisky distilleries owned by Seagram and deemed Glen Grant II to be a 'surplus' distillery. Caperdocnich (Glen Grant II) was closed down for good and demolished five years later. In 2006 Gruppo Campari from Italy bought the distillery and, up until today, Glen Grant continues to be one of the best selling whiskies around the world.
The style of whisky produced at Glen Grant is light and delicate. It is shaped by emphasizing reflux during distillation and the usage of purifying chambers.
Want to learn more? Then why not try one of our whisky tastings