Brewing took place at Pluscarden Abbey (very close to where today's Miltonduff distillery stands) throughout the 16th adn early 17th century. Rumours about illegal distillation prior to 1824 abound. The official story claims that Miltonduff distillery started distilling just one year after the enactment of the Excise Act 1823. This distillery was one of the biggest in the country by the end of the 19th century.
Unusually among Scottish distilleries, the whisky produced there was distilled three times. Like most distilleries, it went through difficult periods during the Pattison crisis and WWI. In 1936 it was acquired by Canadian distillers Hiram Walker. Under their ownership a pair of Lomond stills were installed in 1964. The whisky produced in those stills was sold under the name Mosstowie. Those stills were decommissioned in 1981 and today Mosstowie single malt is a rare sight.
The distillery expanded its production capacity in 1974 and has changed hands a couple of times since 1936. The current owner, The Chivas Brothers, acquired it in 2005.
The style of whisky produced at Miltonduff is light and fruity on the palate with a nice and 'thick' texture. This is achieved by using a medium-short fermentation period of some 48 hours, onion shaped stills and ex-bourbon casks for maturation.
Want to learn more? Then why not try one of our whisky tastings