Aberlour distillery is located in Aberlour, Strathspey. The current owners are Chivas Brothers Ltd (part of Pernod Ricard S.A). It was built in 1879 and it used water from the nearby St. Drostan's Well.
A decade or so after its construction the distillery burned down (quite a common occurrence among distilleries at the time). In 1898 it was rebuilt and it operated without inconveniences until the Second World war. During the war and due to severe restrictions on distillation, locals would take wash from the site and distill it illegally close to the Aberlour burn.
It was acquired by the Pernod Ricard group in 1974 after it was refurbished and production expanded. These days the are many releases available, the most common ones are: Aberlour 12 y