Balblair distillery is located just North of Inverness in Ross-shire. The current distillery was built in 1872 after it was decided that the original Balblair distillery (built in 1790) needed to be relocated to have easier access to railway services. The original water source is still being used today. Some of the buildings at the distillery date from the 18th century.
The distillery remained family owned and run for over a century. When it was sold in 1894 it operated for just a few years before closing down in 1911. It remained closed for over 30 years and it was bought in 1948 by the owners of Old Pulteney distillery in Wick. The distillery was renovated and production was increased upon acquisition.
In the 1970's the distillery was sold to Hiram Walker from Canada. After being sold at least once more, it became part of Inver House distillers (current owners) in 1996. 'Vintage' releases were bottled in 2007 and the whisky became quite a sensation among whisky enthusiasts.
Want to learn more? Then why not try one of our whisky tastings