Whisky was booming at the end of the 19th century and James Grant decides to expand: Caperdonich was founded but at that time it got the name Glen Grant #2 (Glen Grant No.2). It was built right behind the Glen Grant Distillery. But the whisky boom didn’t last long, a crash followed and already in 1902 Caperdonich was mothballed. As Caperdonich had been built to copy the whisky style of the Glen Grant it served as a kind of spare parts depot for its big brother.
When in the 1960s the demand for whisky increased again the owners of Caperdonich decided to restore the sleeping distillery and start production again. Meanwhile Grant Grant Distillers had merged with Glenlivet and some blending companies and had formed The Glenlivet Distillers Ltd. in 1972.
Modernization took place and already in the first year after re-opening in 1965 more than 1.3 mio liters of spirit were produced. Two years later capacity was increased by installing another pair of stills, from now on steam heated, and more wash backs. Production became automated to a high degree.
In 1977 Seagrams bought the distillery and most of the produced whisky was now used for their blends like Chivas Regal. In 2001 Pernod Ricard became the owner and mothballed Caperdonich one year later.
Big parts of the site were sold to Forsyths in 2010 who tore down the distillery buildings in 2011