When architect Charles Doig built Glen Elgin in 1898 he predicted that it would be last built in the area for at least 50 years. He was proven right Tormore, built in 1958, was the first distillery to be built in the area after Glen Elgin. The distillery started production in 1900 but closed down soon after. When the distillery was sold in 1901 it went for £4000, making a net loss of £9000. It wasn't only the crisis that hindered the success of Glen Elgin, other factors like water shortages and a refused railway siding also contributed to its difficulties.
After many changes of ownership and periods of closure, it became part of the Distillers Company Limited Portfolio in the early 1930's. Glen Elgin was quickly licensed to White Horse Distillers Ltd who used it for its legendary blend. Electricity reached the distillery in 1950. Paraffin was used at Glen Elgin previously.
The style of the spirit produced here is shaped by the usage of a long fermentation period (90 hours), worm tubs to cool the spirit and plain-shaped pot stills.
Want to learn more? Then why not try one of our whisky tastings