Glen Garioch distillery was founded in 1797 and it is one of Scotland's oldest. It operated under the ownership of the founding family until 1837. After that year, the distillery was sold a couple of times and in the early 20th century William Sanderson and Sons, who were the owners of the VAT 69 blend, acquired it.
This latter company merged with other larger companies until it was taken over by Scotch Malt Distillers (SMD) who closed the distillery in 1968. A company by the name Stanley P Morrison Ltd (SPM) acquired the distillery and resumed production almost immediately after acquiring it. Under the ownership of SPM the distillery went through upgrades and innovations in the 1970's.
Peated whisky was produced, the floor maltings were upgraded and a visitor center was opened. The innovations continued until the early 1980s when the distillery became the first one to employ direct heating in their pot stills. The Suntory Group from Japan took over SPM in 1984 and according to some whisky experts, like Charles Maclean, the character of the whisky produced under the new ownership is markedly different to the one produced before the take over. In 1994 the floor maltings were decommissioned and the entire official portfolio was relaunched in 2009.
A short fermentation period and low reflux rate produce a spirit with malt/cereal notes enhanced by waxy undertones.
Want to learn more? Then why not try one of our whisky tastings