Strathclyde distillery is located in the Gorbals on the south side of the River Clyde opposite Glasgow Green. It is worth mentioning that the site is located so close to the park where James Watt was struck with inspiration for his vapour-driven engine.
The distillery which sits on the site of an old cotton mill, was initially built by London distiller Seager Evans in 1927 mainly to supply neutral grain spirit for its gins. In 1936, Seager Evans moved into Scotch with the purchase of the Long John brand.
In 1957, like many grain distilleries, Strathclyde secreted a malt plant – here called Kinclaith – inside its walls. This ran from 1957 to 1975 when it was removed to make way for a two-phase expansion of the grain/neutral spirit side of the operation. At the same time, the firm’s blending and warehousing site next door was also demolished. It is now part of the Chivas Brothers stable and still, amazingly, goes unnoticed by the strollers along the banks of the Clyde.