Tamdhu distillery is located in Knockando, Moray. It was built between 1896 and 1897 by a group of investors. Highland Distillers (now Edrington) acquired the distillery in 1899. The distillery managed to survive the Pattison crisis, WWI shortages, and event the crisis caused by the prohibition in the US. Unlike most distilleries at that time, it did not change hands many times.
The distillery faced financial difficulties and closed in 1927. It remained closed for twenty years and only reopened a couple of years after WWII ended. When the distillery reopened its malting floors were decommissioned and Saladin boxes were installed. For a couple of decades it satisfied its own malting requirements and barley for other whisky distilleries in the Edrington group.
Production capacity was expanded at Tamdhu in the early 1970's and some eighteen years later a policy of using only ex-sherry casks was adopted. A decision to close the distillery in 2010 was taken by the Edrington group. Two years later Ian MacLeod distillers stepped in and renovated the site. These days a 100% sherried 10 year old is the flagship bottling from Tamdhu distillery. Older releases are expected.
Want to learn more? Then why not try one of our whisky tastings